The Silverson FMX5 is a Laboratory scale version of the Flashmix Powder/Liquid mixer, it operates on the same principle as its larger counterparts and provides an accurate and easy means of predicting the performance of the Flashmix in the laboratory, helping to streamline the scale-up process. The FMX5 has been tested on a wide range of powders, giving comparable results to the production scale Flashmix. These powders include gums (CMC, Guar, Gum Arabic, Pectin, Xanthan), Carbopol, Bentonite and many others across a range of industries.
The FMX5 provides a simple, effective and sanitary means of powder/liquid mixing on a laboratory scale. The unit is suitable for small scale manufacturing and R&D work and is able to process higher viscosity mixes.
- Powerful 1 hp (0.75kW) single phase motor with infinitely variable speed control.
- All wetted parts are in grade 316L stainless steel.
- Touch pad control panel with digital tachometer, programmable integral timer and amperage display.
- Interchangeable rotor/stator arrangements.
- 1 liter stainless steel hopper as standard; other types are available to assist with flow of more cohesive powders.
- Typical batch size up to 10 liters, depending on viscosity.
How it Works
Designed with a Flashmix-style pumping rotor the FMX5 offers a unique method of incorporating powders into liquid, producing an agglomerate-free and homogeneous product at laboratory scale.
Stage 1 – The specially modified Silverson Verso Laboratory scale In-Line mixer recirculates liquid from the process vessel through the FMX5 at high velocity.
Stage 2 – The powder feed valve is opened, and the high pumping action of the In-Line mixer forces the powder into the liquid stream.
Stage 3 – The powder and liquid components are introduced straight into the high shear zone of the mixer, and are instantaneously combined as they are subjected to intense mechanical and hydraulic shear. The resultant mix is passed back to the vessel by the self-pumping Flashmix.